As the data controller of your personal data, SMC Education Group is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), effective from 25 May 2018.
This privacy notice outlines how SMC Education Group (also referred to as “we”, “us” or “our”) collects, uses and shares your personal data. It also explains your rights regarding the personal data we hold. The privacy notice relates to our processing of personal data of prospective students (also referred to as “you” or “your”) of SMC Education Group for marketing purposes.
We may collect details such as:
- your name, email address, telephone number (and other contact details if known) as well as other details such as date of birth, postal address, residency status, nationality, ethnicity, level of study, your areas of interest, educational history, CV, personal references, passport details, visa information, criminal record declarations, and entry test and interview information if required
- personal information about disabilities and dietary requirements to help us accommodate you at events
There are numerous ways in which SMC Education Group may collect your personal data. These include:
- when you register your interest in SMC Education Group via our website
- when you communicate with us through our website, via email or telephone, or in person, eg when making an enquiry or requesting a prospectus
- when you share your personal data with us at an external higher education fair or event, such as those organised by third parties or those taking place internationally
- when you respond to one of our marketing campaigns on a third party website (including social media channels) and provide your personal data
- when you make an application to study at SMC Education Group or one of our partner institutions
We store any data you may have provided to us as an enquirer, on your application, throughout your studies with us or at any point after graduation.
We may use your personal data for a number of reasons such as:
- marketing and recruitment – for example, we may use your personal data to send you information about SMC Education Group, the subject area(s) you may be interested in, details about upcoming events, reminders about important deadlines, eg application deadlines, and other relevant services
- events – for example, to ensure we accommodate your requirements (eg those relating to a disability or dietary needs)
- to assess your application and create your student record (once you have applied to us)
- to provide you with career development support (once you have applied to us)
We may share some of your personal data with relevant third parties. This will be for the purposes referred to in this privacy notice. This may include disclosing limited personal data to employees, agents and contractors where there is a legitimate reason to do so, including:
- external marketing agencies, print suppliers or fulfilment houses we work with to send you relevant marketing communications
- third parties who provide us with essential software that is used to store and process your personal data. The School will only transfer personal data to the receiving organisation who has provided they have adequate safeguards.
- internal and external auditors
- organisations with an interest in tracking applicant and student progress and attendance, including student sponsors
- government departments or agencies where we have a statutory obligation to provide information
- third parties conducting surveys for the purposes of gaining feedback about our marketing or events
It is important that you tell us promptly about any changes to the information we hold about you, including your contact details.
We do not retain your personal data for longer than is required in order to provide you with relevant information or services unless you request us to do otherwise. We may retain some information indefinitely for archive purposes and to support your lifelong relationship with SMC Education Group.
Should you choose to stop receiving marketing communications, SMC Education Group is obliged to opt you out within 28 days.
The General Data Protection Regulation gives you the rights outlined below:
- to obtain access to, and copies of, the personal data that we hold about you
- to require that we stop processing your personal data on your request
- to require that we do not send you marketing communications
- to require SMC Education Group to make corrections to the personal data that we hold about you, if this is incorrect
- to require that we erase your personal data
- to require that we restrict our data processing activities (and, where our processing is based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent, without affecting the lawfulness of our processing based on consent before its withdrawal)
- to receive from the School the personal data we hold about you, which you have provided to us, in a reasonable and intelligible format, including for the purpose of you transmitting that personal data to another data controller
- to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to any of our particular processing activities where you feel this has a disproportionate impact on your rights
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
If you have given your consent and you wish to withdraw it, please contact the School administration using the contact details provided on this site. Please note that where our processing of your personal data relies on your consent and where you then withdraw that consent, we may not be able to provide all or some aspects of our services to you and/or it may affect the provision of those services.
This privacy statement was designed to be as clear and concise as possible – it does not provide exhaustive detail of all aspects of SMC Education Group’s collection and use of personal data.